Friday, January 11, 2008

Priorities

So, I, like many of my friends, are currently stuck in that perpetual time of monetary lacking that is known as college, which isn't all that bad of a problem for most.

However, in my case, it means that I need to be especially careful when it comes to expenses and how I use my money. The reason behind that is that I am planning on going on three major international missions trips in the coming year; one to Argentina, one to Honduras, and one to Malaysia.

So, that is where the prioritizing comes into play. I know that I could say, "eh, I will worry about paying for them later, I need to live in the now." However, I know that if I truly want to serve God and His purpose, I need to sacrifice the things that I want and realize that I need to buckle down and cut back.

Like it says in Matthew, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

In other words, we should not dedicate our lives exclusively to improving our status here on the earth. We should look at what we can do with what we have to better God's kingdom.

In my case, that means not buying that cd, not going out for dinner every week, not buying that new shirt, but instead saving my resources and putting them towards the kingdom of God.

I know that while it seems daunting to put away our wants and instead trust for the reward in the future, but if we truly have a faith in our Lord, then we know that, in the words of a great lyricist, "We live in but a shadow of the real."

No comments: