Monday, January 7, 2008

Hero Worship

Yes, I know, not a very specific title, but I feel like that is the only way that I can describe what I am attempting to talk about in this.

There are sometimes when I feel that the life that I want is swirling around me, being lived by those who I am with and that I only wish to attain some of what they have.

One example is a friend of mine who in a previous life was a full time missionary in Southeast Asia. I look up to him, I admire him, I want to have his influence reflect in my life.

However I need to make sure that I am making this my own path and not copying my friend through some form of hero worship.

Hero worship, that term has an interesting meaning to it. It means to admire people so much that we in turn try to make our lives out to be like theirs.

So, I think about this, and with that I have to know what the appropriate things to try to be are. For example, it is ok for me to worship Jesus and God and to try to make my life more like them, but at the same time it is wrong for me to worship the lives of my friends in such a way that I make their lives the ideal with I try to copy.

Am I making sense?

I know in this it sounds like I am saying the obvious, but I must say that to some people it is not that obvious to them.

In the past I would have been one of these people. I would look at others and wish to attain all that they had, all that they were, all that they did.

However, I should say that I feel that I have slowly but surely been changing this.

While I know that it is wrong for me to wish to attain the lives of others, I know that at the same time it is ok for me to view the lives of others and to see how I can model my life in a way that is appropriate.

No comments: