Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Definition of Myself in Sports

Just to let whoever is reading this know, this post is not exactly in line with all the other things that I have posted.

I was thinking about the defining/major moments of my life so far, and many of the moments that I can remember are tied into sporting events. I know, it is kind of cheesy, but it is true.

The first thing that I should say is that I have been a sports fan for many years. In fact, the first sporting event that I attended was when I was three days old. My first professional baseball game came when I was three weeks old.

So basically, I was meant to be a sports fan.

The first true sports memory that I have a memory of in terms of a big event occurred when I was 7, and that was the baseball strike. I didn't understand what it was at the time, but I knew something was going on.

Probably the biggest moments that I remember are the big wins, the championships, what everyone loves.

The sporting event that I felt left me with the most satisfaction was the 2006 Stanley Cup Final. I had up to that point been a die hard Carolina Hurricanes fan for years, and to see Rod Brind'amour lift the Cup over his head in Raleigh was a moment of joy and contentment in that it was as if my investment in the team was paid back.

The only other moment that I can remember that came even close would be the 2006 Carolina win over Dook University, mainly because this was the first time I was able to rush Franklin Street.

So, sports are very important in my life.

No comments: