Monday, January 21, 2008

Jewelry

Yes, I know, jewelry is not exactly the most exciting thing to be talking about. But stay with me, because I think that this will be a good thing when it is done.

What I am talking about is seemingly commonplace sight of a cross necklace dangling around the necks of people walking down the street. Now while this may not be a bad thing, what I am afraid of is that the symbol of the death and resurrection of our Lord may become a cliche symbol of pop culture, much like the W.W.J.D. bracelet or worse, the "Jesus is my Homeboy" t-shirt.

What I fear is that this prevalence of the cross will weaken its value and image as a religious symbol and instead make it something that people think is only a piece of jewelry.

So, while I write this, I will acknowledge that I am wearing a cross necklace around my neck right now, as I have done and will continue to do in the future.

However, I should say that while I do wear a cross, I do not see it as simply a piece of jewelry. For me the cross that I wear symbolizes a public demonstration of my faith. The cross that I wear also makes me remember that I am a follower of Christ, and that I should live my live in such a way that demonstrates the love and beauty of Christ.

In other words, I use the cross that is around my neck in such a way that it helps me to show others the faith that I possess. And from showing people my faith, I am then able to better demonstrate the meaning of my faith.

No comments: