Monday, November 26, 2007

Frustration

I am sure that you will know what I am talking about when I mention ultimate frustration. That feeling where you are so frustrated at a particular instance that you cannot let go of it, you keep replaying what happened in your mind over and over again, trying to figure out what you could have done differently.

Well I had one of those moments. It occurred over Thanksgiving break when I went hunting with my uncle Russell, and I missed when I shot at a deer.

I know, this seems like a small thing, but for me it was really, truly frustrating for I have never killed a deer and this was in fact the first time that I shot at one. So to miss, for me it invalidated all that I had tried to do while I was out there.

And now for the past few days I have done nothing except replay the moments before I pulled the trigger and have just wondered the entire time what I could have done differently to hit the deer.

And now, as I have thought about this for several days, I realize that frustration is not a bad thing if we allow ourselves to grow from that frustration. In other words, because I missed the deer, I can learn from the things that I did the last time and will use that the next time I have a shot at a deer.

In greater circumstances, we need to take the frustrations that we feel and know that the true reason for the frustration that we feel is to grow. I would imagine Adam and Eve were pretty frustrated when they were kicked out of Eden, but I bet they used the experiences that they gained and used that to better themselves.

But the key thing to frustrations is that we cannot fall into the hole of ignorance, which leads us to become more frustrated when we realize that we did not learn anything from previous experiences. Trust me, I know that there have been plenty of times when I became greatly frustrated and didn't learn anything from the experience, and as a result I just became even more frustrated.

I guess that the main reason we become frustrated is because we realize in our frustration that we were ignorant in the past. Follow me here, but I think that the reason we become frustrated in certain situations is that we think that we can do something yet are ignorant to the fact that we cannot.

I am not trying to say that frustration is all bad, which I realize I haven't because the entire first part of this post is about the positives of frustration.

And there you go. I am frustrated at my lack of focus on how my post is shaping up.

No comments: