Saturday, February 9, 2008

Saving Lives

So, I was watching a movie today that had a line that made me think about things. The gist of the line was that the highest calling that an individual can have is to be called to save the lives of others.

And as I heard this, all I could think about were the applications of this for me in my life, namely that I feel that I have been called to save the lives of people in a different way. That I have been called to save the eternal lives of these people.

Thinking about this, all I can feel is that there is such a way to have a secular view and a religious view of saving people. To save a person in the secular way only forestalls the inevitable death that we all face. Now, while this seems to be a very pessimistic view of saving lives and that I am saying we shouldn't save people, What I am saying is that we need to look beyond the basic lives of people.

In order to truly care for people, we need to care for them spiritually as well as physically. Basically, a new form of holistic care.

I know that I am in the future going to be the person who provides for the spiritual health of the people that I will be with. I know that as a Christian who is responding to the Great Commission, I am the one who has to go out and save the lives of people around the world.

Further, I know that in saving people, I will be saving them from a fate that is worse than anything we could imagine. I would be saving them from a live and live after death separate from God.

And that is what is exciting about responding to the call to save people. That is what makes saving people the highest calling that there is.

No comments: